Trapping is the most efficient means for removing wild pigs because it is a continuous activity requiring far less time and effort than other methods such as hunting. Successful pig trapping hinges upon several key components:
Wild Pig in a Trap
- locating high-use areas for potential trap sites
- prebaiting and baiting
- effective trap design and size
- effective trap door design
The use of snares for capturing wild pigs is not recommended due to the possibility for the capture of nontarget animals.
Measures can be taken to reduce the capture of other animals or ensure they can escape if they enter a trap.
Captured pigs should be euthanized humanely, with little stress to the animal. Learn more about how to safely disptach captured wild pigs.
- Types of Traps
- Trap Location
- Other Animals
- Remote-sensing Cameras
- How do I control the pig population?
- What traps work best?
- If I catch a pig, what do I do with it?
- What type of bait should I use?